The Corporate Sustainability Roundtable
nashville's community of sustainable workplaces
Welcome to the Corporate Sustainability Roundtable, Nashville's community of sustainable workplaces. Led by Urban Green Lab, in partnership with Nissan North America, Piedmont Natural Gas, and the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum, the Roundtable brings corporations together year-round to learn, network, foster new skills and policies, inform leadership, and exchange best practices to make sustainable workplaces a priority.
Big challenges require big solutions. In 2017, a study conducted by Metro Nashville Public Works revealed 73 percent of all trash coming from area corporations could have been recycled, reused, or composted before ever reaching the landfill. In less than a decade from now, the Middle Point Landfill that services Nashville will close. That timeline imposes a new sense of urgency, but also an opportunity to review how we do business and reduce the overwhelming energy, water, food, and solid waste our corporations generate every day. We need each other to accomplish it. The Corporate Sustainability Roundtable is designed to meet that challenge.
The Corporate Sustainability Roundtable is as diverse as it is committed. Composed of 25 member companies both large and small committed to Nashville's sustainability, the Roundtable's industries range from music, to food, real estate and automotive, healthcare and hotels, and everything in between (see list below). And no two members tackle sustainable workplaces alike. In fact, the Roundtable intentionally blends companies who already have sophisticated sustainability plans, leaders, and infrastructure with those just starting out and in need of sustainable workplace education, and looking for direction and advice for how to begin their sustainability journey.
exchanging best practices
The Corporate Sustainability Roundtable is a space to share and grow. The Roundtable meets six times per year at rotating member company offices. Between meetings, Urban Green Lab works one-on-one to tailor company leadership and strategic plans, train staff how to educate colleagues about sustainable workplace behaviors, and connect members to expert resources, the press, and each other. Every meeting focuses on a nuanced sustainability problem and includes networking, presentations by resident experts and local vendors, tours of host facilities, data alignment and small group discussions, curriculum development and collective challenges, and happy hour.
key annual deliverables
Together, the Corporate Sustainability Roundtable works to achieve the following annual deliverables:
- Establishment and maturation of corporate sustainability leadership and workforce green teams
- Development of educational curricula for company sustainability leadership to teach staff and new hires
- Creation and revision of the collective Annual Sustainable Workplace Report & Recommendations for CEOs
- Graduation of each member company to new measurable levels of systemic growth and long-term impact
- Study by university researchers into the decision-making and effectiveness of company initiatives
The sustainable workplace report & recommendations
The Annual Sustainable Workplace Report & Recommendations, produced by the Roundtable, is presented to company CEOs as a guide on behalf of Nashville's corporate community to implementing sustainability best practices. The Report includes:
- Snapshot of Roundtable member companies — who they are by industry
- Aggregate summary of member sustainability initiatives and waste measures
- Overview of Roundtable yearly collective activities, including meeting outcomes
- A spotlight on sustainable workplace educational programs implemented and their results
- Formal policy recommendations by the Roundtable for any CEO to adopt in their companies
Membership is free. To join the Roundtable or for any questions, please contact Todd Lawrence, executive director of Urban Green Lab, at [email protected]. Members are asked to register their companies and send two representatives to each Roundtable meeting.
- Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum
- Nissan North America
- Piedmont Natural Gas
- Advance Financial
- CMT (Country Music Television)
- DaVita Healthcare
- DNV GL
- Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC)
- HCA (Healthcare Corporation of America)
- Lockheed Martin
- Mechanical Resource Group (MRG)
- Music City Center
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce
- Renaissance Nashville Hotel
- Tennessee Solar Solutions
- Triumph Aerostructures
- Turner Construction Company
- Village Real Estate
- Williamson Co. Chamber of Commerce
- WME (William Morris Endeavor)
partners & experts
- Metro Nashville Planning Office
- Metro Nashville Public Works
- Office of the Mayor, Nashville
- Tennessee Dept. of Environment & Conservation (TDEC)
- Vanderbilt University School of Law
- Wilmot, Inc.