Operations Manager (Full-Time)
URBAN GREEN LAB
Urban Green Lab’s mission is simple: We teach communities how to live sustainable, healthy lives. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded in 2009 and based in Nashville, Tennessee, we envision a world where everyone understands the basics of sustainable urban living, with a focus on energy, water, material, and food waste in our classrooms, households, and workplaces – places where culture begins. Together with our frontline partners, we facilitate dialogue, advance curricula, and build measurable life skills that save money, protect health, inspire personal responsibility, and conserve Earth's limited and incredible natural resources for generations to come.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Operations Manager at Urban Green Lab is responsible for ensuring that all our systems -- internal and external -- run smoothly. Supervised by the Executive Director, the Operations Manager wears multiple hats in the organization, assisting staff with everything from financial bookkeeping to human resources, information technology, and social media. The Operations Manager also plays a vital role in grant reporting and assists staff with frontline operations for our community education programs, like Sustainable Classrooms or our Mobile Lab. The position is full-time and requires occasional travel citywide. Some evening/weekend duties are required.
Percentages of effort may evolve with time.
1. program operations (40%)
- Support operations when necessary for the Sustainable Classrooms teacher training program, which may include set-up for teacher trainings, prep for steering committee meetings, data collection, and other assorted tasks throughout the year.
- Assist as needed with operations for the Mobile Lab, including implementing the Lab in area schools, set-up and break down of Lab visits, servicing the Lab, guiding students, and helping resolve repairs to equipment, such as panels or interactive exhibits.
- When appropriate, support operations for the Corporate Sustainability Roundtable, including bi-monthly meetings of member companies, especially set-up and break-down, ordering of supplies, troubleshooting AV, and mobilizing representatives.
2. financial support (30%)
- Support the Executive Director, Board Treasurer, and CPA firm with all financial matters of the organization. Keep outstanding financial records, files, and reports, and respond to general inquires of the staff and Board.
- Manage basic accounts payable, including all receipts, invoices (incoming and outgoing), deposits, and filings. Oversee the Quickbooks account, including possible cash reconciliations (payroll report, general ledger, etc.).
- Submit periodic reports and invoices related to state government grants, as well as other potential non-state grants. Assist in development and maintenance of the annual operating budget, including generation of periodic reports.
3. Office management (20%)
- Manage overall day-to-day fitness and efficiency of the Urban Green Lab office, systems, and policies. Research and troubleshoot basic information technology concerns and opportunities for staff as they arise.
- Assist Executive Director with human resources duties, like recruitment, orientation, and staff handbook development. Support the Executive Director with simple administrative tasks, which may include scheduling and filing.
- Carefully catalogue and maintain all property, inventory, and assets, such as computers, furniture, phones, etc. Order supplies as necessary, and work with vendors of all kinds related to services, catering, repairs, etc.
4. General assistance (10%)
- Post social media for the organization (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) as well as the newsletter (every couple of weeks). Assist with updates to the Urban Green Lab website, and any other digital media or online presence necessary.
- Support other core functions of Urban Green Lab as needed, including annual strategic planning and special events. Participate in regular staff, one-on-one, and committee meetings, professional development, and trainings year-round.
The candidate will ideally possess the following attributes and professional qualifications:
- Passionate commitment to Urban Green Lab’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial, with a sense of how to sustain innovative programming
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills, and high sense of integrity
- A positive, flexible attitude, intellectual curiosity, and capacity to adjust to change
- Diplomatic, with excellent community relations, listening, and learning skills
- Self-reliant, proactive, dependable – a team player to the core
- Humility and grace under pressure, a sense of humor
- At least two to four years of relevant professional experience ideal (graduate degree not required)
- Experience with organizational operations and playing many roles at once, especially with nonprofits
- Basic understanding of financial management principles, including simple accounting and budgets
- Grant reporting and donor relations experience a plus, including invoicing and spreadsheets
- Familiarity with challenges of organizational or program operations at the grassroots ideal
- Comfort working with diverse partners, stakeholders, students, vendors, and the public
- Understanding of sustainable living, the environment, public health, or related issues
- Clear oral and written communications, and experience with presentations
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary for this position starts at $40,000 with opportunity for growth dependent on performance and development of the organization. Benefits include group Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), retirement (simple IRA), a monthly communications stipend, 20 PTO (paid time off) days in addition to seven annual holidays, and free home composting service by Compost Nashville. A 90-day review period is required, including annual performance reviews.
Based in an office setting, the Corporate Sustainability Manager will engage the public outside the office on a regular basis (about 25-40% time). A flexible work schedule is expected. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
Please email cover letter and resume to Todd Lawrence, Executive Director, at [email protected]. Position posted until filled. Background check may be required. No phone inquiries, please. All correspondence is confidential. Urban Green Lab is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants with a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas to apply.